Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Sunday, August 21, 2005

 

Mission Accomplished: Cake demolished


The cake, part one.










Dare I sat I just pulled of an idyllic first birthday?

I am sitting here reflecting on the first anniversay of the birth of our daughter and I have to say, aside from a nap inducing spell of exhaustion at about 3:30, that day went off swimmingly.

The weather: Beautiful. Backyard: decorated. Cake: Baked. Cousins, Aunts, Uncles, Gradnparents: all present. The wagon we got her: Big hit.

Once again, the star of the show was Maggie. She actually looked at and touched every single gift. In doing so foregoing the plague of many first birthdays which is the "I don't care what this thing is and I don't care who gave it to me what are all these people doing here? I will just throw your stupid present across the yard and continue playing with the geraniums you insipid fools. Are you leaving yet?" I have seen it happen. I have seen children cry at their own birthday cakes causing their poor mother's to hold back tears of disappointment. These are the risks we take procreating.


The cake part 2.










Not our Maggie. She plucked the berries off her cake and plundered it wholeheartedly. There was cake everywhere. She clutched huge boulders of confetti cake and smashed them into her mouth like John Belushi in Animal house.
After she was done, she burped loudly, asked for a toothpick and leaned back picking her teeth for a while.


The Cake Part 3.










I have to say, after putting her to bed, and checking on her, whispering "good night birthday girl", I truly feel like a million bucks. She won't remember the day, being only one, but I do think she knew it was all for her, and she takes it all very much in stride. I think I am proud of my daughter.


The cake part 4.










I understand it's quite possible that on her second birthday she could behave like some kind of posessed orangutan. She took a nap today and we got lucky. I understand that as a adult, I do need to have my own life and not live out my feelings of inadeqauacy through my child. But GOLL-DANG if I didn't get a kick out of her sweet, smiling, cake-covered face. Yum. I just love that child.

Good night birthday girl. Sleep tight Miss Maggie.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Falkenberg said...

What a good idea the pictures are! Happiest birthday to your little girl. She is a sweetie, but you already knew that, didn't you?

12:33 AM  
Blogger Lin said...

Beautiful Baby and it sounds like a beautiful day...all except for the Baby Grand Theft Auto thingie that everyone's talking about...even here in L.A.!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Anna Banana said...

I guess I should actually start planning for my daughter's first birthday party.. less than 2 weeks away! I sure hope ours goes as well.......
congratulations, the cake was gorgeous!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Katie Burke said...

How sweet!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Julie Marsh said...

What a fantastic cake and a beautiful little girl! Sounds like a lovely day - brought back great memories of my older daughter's first birthday.

And there is nothing wrong with getting such a kick out of your child. I never thought I would enjoy it so much, and it amazes me how much I love watching my girls and beaming with pride.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Awww. Congratulations!! Everyone should have a photo of a 1-year-old face smeared with cake.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home