Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

 

There is so much LOVE In this room........

There is so much love going on over at Mommybloggers today I can hardly stand it. Actually, the love-fest has been going on for the last 3 days.

Grab a Kleenex and get on over there. If there is one topic these women have firsthand knowledge of, it’s L-O-V-E.

I was overwhelmed by the range of topics and the variety and quality of the essays. The writing and subject matter are truly beautiful. As are the women and men who have shared their stories.

And in honor of the day:

What is love

Love is my Grandmother Devoy telling me: “Meggity. You and I majored in the same thing in college. Having a good time.”

In one of the last coherent moments we shared, she looked me straight in the eye and said “Thanks for coming to see me”. She threw her arms around my neck in her signature vice headlock / hug combos as she was being wheeled to the operating room on a gurney. She was sick with encephalitis, and she died two months later at the age of 92.

Love is my Grandmother Townsend calling me into her bedroom to hand me two crisp dollar bills. I was 22 years old. She never had much, and what she had, she wanted to share with us. We never left her house without a baggie of cookies. Double bagged. With a twist-tie.

Love is my Grandfather Townsend, who made mice out of handkerchiefs and made them jump up his arm to make us laugh.

Love is my Grandfather Devoy, who let his wiggling young grandchildren sit in his lap even when he was freshly stitched up from Cancer surgery.

Love is my father, who is visibly pleased every time his daughters come to visit.
Who pulled a pencil lead out of my leg when I was in the third grade. Who once turned all the laundry pink when he washed Molly’s tie-dye with the white laundry, trying to help out with housework when my mom went back to work.

Love is my mother, who put a cold compress to me feet when I was sick as a dog and half crazed with fever. Who made sure I had piano lessons. Who took my girl scout troop camping with a broken toe. Who made a special dinner when any of us made the Dean's list in college.

Love is my sister Julie who offers honest feedback when asked. Who sets an incredible example for me in the way she raises her daughters. Who cares about my well being, and tells me so much. Who is as excited for my successes as I am.

Love is my sister Molly who’s love and loyalty abound. The way she wears her concern on her sleeve when she is worried about me. Her willingness to adapt to the crazy lifestyle changes that motherhood brought to my life. Her ear that is always available and trying not to judge. She offers her passionate thoughts on any subject. She is always there to cheer on life’s victories, and to listen to me bemoan the trials.

Love is my sister Betsy who is always willing to take the time to hang out and do nothing, just because we like to. Her presence alone makes me happy. Her humor and witty, supportive remarks have gotten me through some tough days. She shares the good and the bad with equal aplomb.

Love is the excitement in my sister’s expressions when they see my daughter, Madge.

Love is the way my nieces, the demigoddesses, ask when they can baby-sit next. When they don’t get mad at me for forgetting the $10 I owe them from the last time they babysat. Love is the awesome backrubs they give for a dollar.

Love is my friends, who maneuver the tough terrain of friendship with love and dedication. Who bear with me through life changes like marriage and motherhood, and handle the bumps right along with me. Who are patient with me when I don’t understand their lot in life, and who are patient with me when they don’t get mine. Who are willing to forgive my mis-steps. Don’t let my winter of discontent and introspection fool you. You are loved and valued more than you know. And you are still with me, Thank God.

Love is my husband’s parents, who offer unconditional love and a curious respect for being different from them in a few ways, politically speaking, for example. Who take care of my daughter when I am working, and offer her the same steady, unconditional love they offer to all their children. And for my husband’s brothers and sisters who slowly let me get to know them better as I slowly let them get to know me better.

Love is my husband Jim. The way he gets so excited to give me a gift, he can rarely wait until the actual holiday to give it to me. The way he is brave enough to work with me to make changes in our lives to make our marriage better. To make a better home for our daughter. The way he makes me laugh when I am tired and grumpy and worn out. He offers free and unconditional support when life bruises me (which lately, has been quite often).


Love is my daughter Maggie, who introduced me to uncomplicated joy. Who makes me want to be a better person. Who makes me stop and enjoy the small, pedestrian moments. Who makes me realize those are the best moments of all. Who makes me laugh with wild abandon. She makes my soul beam and swell at the mere sight of her sweet face. Who’s kisses are the most wonderful thing I could ever imagine in a million years.

I hope that in my life, I can give back as much as you have all given me.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Molly said...

You made me weepy you jerk. I love it! You're wonderful!

2:45 PM  
Blogger Debby said...

What an excellent post - it is soooooo heartwarming and such a tearjerker!!

6:46 PM  
Anonymous madge said...

GOD! I'm bawling over here.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Mary Tsao said...

This is so nice. You are a true giver.

And, hey, I majored in Having a good time, too!

10:50 AM  
Anonymous TB said...

As I'm wiping my eyes, I am also resolving to call my sisters.

1:51 PM  
Blogger JB said...

Man, love is certainly in the air! What a terrific post, and I'm loving the love over at mommybloggers, too.

In. Danger. Of. Turning. Into. A. Sap.

I even joined the love fest and wrote about how my husband and I got together. I married my high school sweetheart. Can you imagine?

Thanks for the love, Meghan!

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Shelley said...

Hey, my grandma STILL slips me dollar bills. Well done - very touching.

9:57 PM  
Blogger JustLinda said...

I was a day late for the MommyBloggers love fest, and a day late posting my own version of a love post (ha! about loving someone even if they have toe fungus or gulps too loud when they drink!).

This was nice though... much sweeter than MINE.

Came here via mommybloggers... will be back for sure.

5:23 AM  
Anonymous pjindy said...

What a beautiful tribute to Love Meghan. Very sincere. We love you.

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home