Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Friday, April 27, 2007

 

We had joy we had fun we had throw-up in the sun

Please forgive the extended absence but things have been busy professionally and personally.

We spent 3 days in Sanibel with some friends, and had a great time. There was an abundance of shells, sun, ocean, and freestyle barfing on the beach, in the bed, and in a bucket. Maggie will GLADLY tell anyone who asks.

I should have known the moment I saw that Maggie had fallen asleep on the beach. I had just returned from a walk down the shore. There I was, full of self-congratulations about how she was having SO MUCH FUN she had up and exhausted herself. I sat next to her with my magazine, smiled, and gently touched her cheek. She looked up at me, rolled her eyes back in her head, and commenced spontaneously vomiting.

What is it about sick children that just breaks your heart? I picked her up and she slumped limply against me. I carried that 40 pound child a quarter mile back to our room without batting an eye. She didn't cry. She just looked at me gave me a beleaguered smile as I changed her into dry clothes and tucked her into bed.

The pox upon our hotel room was mercifully short-lived. A good night sleep and a quart of gatorade later, she was right back in her "A" game.

And it was over. At least until we got home, and a day later, I came down with the barfing disease a mere HOURS after an important meeting (saying retroactive hail Mary' s as I write this).

Not to get all Pollyanna on you, but sometimes that child of mine impresses the dickens out of me. She traveled like an old pro, played her little tuckus off, conquered the stomach flu, and didn't miss a beat. I think we'll keep her.

2 Comments:

Anonymous FishNeedsBicycle said...

Hi! I'm new to your site, but I've really enjoyed your posts. I'm originally from MN, so I like to read blogs that bring me back as well as remind me of myself. I love your writing and personality!

I'm also looking to your blog as inspiration and mentorship for embarking on the mommy journey. HA! I'm sure you're laughing. Anyway, even if you don't feel like a mentor, your words are important to me, and I thank you for posting!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous kellypea said...

Glad to see you back. The barf-0-rama you describe brings back memories of two of mine sick a the same time being held over the bathtub by my husband and myself while rinsing off the barf and the poop -- They were leaking at both ends. Ugh. No seashells in that picture.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home